Fridge Like Filly
Fridge and Pantry guide
I often post my finished meals on Instagram, but what does it look like to have a fridge and pantry stocked Functional Bodybuilding style? Here’s what I keep on hand to make a quick, fresh, quality meal any time that fuels my training and aligns with my energy needs for body composition.
Be sure to download the free guide below to take with you, including even more nutrition resources and my kids snack ideas.
You can also learn my complete nutrition system inside the Persist program – and get four training tracks to Look Good and Move Well.
Your family’s tastes, budget, and needs will likely be different from mine. But there are a few key points that can work for almost anyone.
The Food Fillosophy Approach:
- Prioritize Protein
- Eat ingredients – chicken, peppers, rice, potatoes, etc.
- Minimize processed foods with long lists of ingredients
- When you do buy processed foods, read the labels and choose options with fewer ingredients and higher quality oils or fats:
I choose more of these:
- avocado oil
- olive oil
- coconut oil
- beef tallow
- raw butter
- duck fat
I try to avoid these:
- safflower oil
- sunflower oil
- canola oil
- vegetable oil
- grapeseed oil
- soybean oil
Assortment of the highest quality (grass fed, organic, local or humanely raised) you can afford and like to eat; I rotate proteins regularly to get different amino acid profiles. To save, buy in bulk when you can.
- Ground beef (always have some in the freezer and some in the fridge ready to cook)
- Ground bison
- Frozen shrimp
- Organ meats
- Cuts for stovetop or slow cooking
- Beef bones for broth or marrow
I digest raw milk better and make my own kefir, but you can also purchase dairy products like kefir and yogurt that have lots of probiotics. Just watch out for added unnecessary ingredients, and buy the highest quality you can afford.
- Raw Milk
- Organic Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Raw butter
- Organic eggs
- Selection of raw organic cheeses
Seasonal Fresh Fruit & Veggies
Condiments & Sauces
- Oil (avocado, olive, coconut)
- Pickled onions*
- Almond butter
- Tomato paste
- BBQ Sauce*
I make my own versions of these – see below
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Sardines
- Vinegar for pickling
- Lemon juice
- Flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free)
- LMNT electrolytes
- Snacks for the kids – see below
Make Your Own
If you’re low on time and inclination to cook, you can certainly buy quality versions of these items. But I love cooking and connecting with my food – plus I can easily control the quality and taste when I make my own. Here’s what I typically have on hand that I make batches of regularly:
- Sourdough starter – for bread or crackers
- Beef bone broth – I often start my day with this
- Fermented salsa
- Pickled onions
- Fermented ketchup
- Super butter
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for recipes, meal prep ideas, and Functional Bodybuilding training!
Typical snacks for kids at the grocery store are a minefield of deceptive advertising and not so healthy ingredient lists. So here’s what I keep on hand to feed mine:
- Cut up fruits and veggies
- String cheese or Baby Bell
- Pork rinds
- Seaweed, preferably roasted in a quality oil
- Almond butter & jam sandwiches (choose quality ingredients)
- Fresh fruit “ice cream” – mashed frozen fruit; can also mix with yogurt and freeze into popsicles
- Grass fed hot dogs
- Apple sauce pouches (check ingredients)
- Pasta with marinara and cheese
- Rice cakes
- Dried mango (no sugar added)
- Cheerios – yes, we have them too
bonus download: 5 Ingredient meal planner
Before you go – you can take your newly stocked fridge and pantry even further by planning out simple, easy meals. When you keep each meal to 5 ingredients or less, you’ll get a great balance of protein, fats, and carbs without processed ingredients. Download your free meal planner and give it a try.
Look Good. Move Well.
Workouts for sculpted arms and a six pack are different than those for speed and power. Get my blend of both and a sample nutrition plan. Plus a Big Bicep Bonus for my favorite arm finishers!